It’s the month of Halloween! That is 31 days of fun ghoulish treats, tricks, and costumes. It is also the month of unimaginable amounts of candy. In fact, other than December, this is probably one of the harder months to get kids and adults to eat their vegetables. Why would we want that crazy healthy stuff when a smorgasbord of delicious sugar dances before us?
There is a fix for this Halloween phenomenon: make something that can’t possibly be healthy and secretly make it healthy. In other words, make a secret trick out of a yummy treat. Thanks to Disney’s Inside Out, we are given a delicious recipe called Anger’s Real Pizza that will trick the senses.
Anger’s Real Pizza recipe puts almost a cup of veggies in the sauce. It hides them from view, tricking the family into eating something healthy. I love this because the family thinks they are getting this amazing treat of cheesy goodness and I know the secret trick. This puts a whole new spin of Trick or Treat. At this point I say it is totally cool to chuckle to yourself.
The recipe and instructions are below. Click print to make a hard copy and save it for future deliciousness.
Anger's Real Pizza
A delicious treat that tricks the taste buds.
- Hearty Vegetable Pizza Sauce
- 3.5 cups organic tomato puree
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 4 oz chopped onion
- 1 whole zucchini chopped
- 2 whole carrots chopped
- 2 tspns salt
- 2 tspns oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper Pizza Dough
- 4 cups all=purpose flour
- 2 packages of active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tsp coarse salt Toppings
- 1 cup of Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Black olives for eyes (optional)
- Pepperoni cut to look like vampire teeth (optional;)
- your choice of toppings (optional)
- Heat garlic, onion, zucchini, and carrots in a pan for 10 min
- Add the rest of your sauce ingredients together in a pot and blend smooth with a hand blender or kitchen blender.
- Cook on low heat for 45 minutes.
Make Your Dough
- Put 1.5 cups of warm water in a large bowl and add both packages of yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes (until it gets foamy)
- Whisk your oil, sugar and salt into your yeast water.
- Add your flour and stir with a spoon until it forms into a sticky dough
- Transfer your dough into an oiled bowl and coat the surface with more oil.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured work area and knead a few times before using
Build and Bake
- Spread your dough out evenly on a lightly oiled pizza pan or baking sheet
- Smother the surface of your dough evenly with sauce. The Saucier the better
- Smother the top with mozzarella cheese. The cheesier the better
- Bake at 475 F for 12-15 minutes until it looks perfectly awesome.
Anger’s Real Pizza recipe is also available to download in PDF form. Simply click the image below and to go to my blog post and download the recipe from there.