I was perusing the Disney Family, checking out their new crafts and recipes when I stumbled upon the cutest cookies one will ever see featuring Baby Groot! I have to say, I am in love. To quote Family Disney,
It’s fair to say that Baby Groot stole the show in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 with his all-around cuteness and devotion to his friends. Why not bring a little of this adorable character into your kitchen with these Baby Groot-inspired cookies?! He Is Groot, after all. family.disney.com
I was concerned that these baby Groot cookies would be hard to eat. I mean, who can take a bite out of Baby Groot? My family, apparently, because they went fast. So, even maximum cuteness doesn’t stop the eating of a yummy cookie.
Note: This recipe is a little more difficult than the usual Disney Family Recipe, meaning that we have to make the cookies from scratch. Usually we find recipes on Family Disney that tell you to buy the dough, this time we can make it ourselves…I love that! So it is a little more work, but oh so delicious!
Baby Groot Cookies
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted brown butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses For Icing
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Black, green, and brown food coloring
Photo and recipe from family.disney.com
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and molasses, and beat on medium speed until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Form dough into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Unwrap the dough and place it on a large, lightly-floured hard surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough 1/8-inch thick. Cut out Groot cookies using a template. I found one online. Transfer to parchment-covered baking sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- To Decorate: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. If your icing is too thin, add in a little more powdered sugar. Divide icing into 3 bowls and make each color.
- Use a piping bag, or a ziplock bag (with the corner snipped off), to pipe the icing onto the cookies. For Groot’s details, I used black icing for this eyes and mouth. Added vines around his body with brown icing and used green icing for the leaves.
Disclosure: No monetary compensation was provided. I saw this and felt it would be great for my readers. All the opinions are 100% my own. In exchange for referrals, some posts may contain affiliate links that I may receive commission for payment. (See more here