The Fourth of July is over but Summer is still here. With all the fun in the sun: adventures, fireworks, fishing, games, and more, we are all sure to be hungry by the time we arrive home. Thanks to the Dollar Tree Blog, we have an easy snack that is sure to make everyone smile!
These Star-Shaped pies embed a Strawberry and blueberry compote into a pie crust and baked to form the perfect snack. Personally I love dipping them in peanut butter, it nearly turns them into a PB&J (Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich), which just so happens to be one of my favorite sandwiches of all time.
I did change a couple of things from the original recipe. One: I added Peanut butter as an option because there are others like me looking to enjoy a creative PB&J pie. And Two: I included the recipe to make your own pie crusts. Of course, it is always an option to purchase two pre-made pie crusts, but I have learned nothing beats homemade. The recipe for a pie crust is simple and quick with only four ingredients. .
NOTE: If you are looking to buy your own pie crusts, you will no longer need the following ingredients: 3 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup butter, and 4-6 tablespoons of water. Simply “X” those out and replace with two store bought pie crusts. You will also skip directions 2-4 and simply roll your store bought crusts on a flour surface and continue from directions number 6.
Berry Yummy Star-Shaped Pies Recipe
A Delicios Summer Snack.
- 1 Cup (Frozen) Strawberries
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Peanut Butter (optional) Pie Crusts or simply buy 2 pre-made pie crusts
- 3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of butter (cold)
- 4-6 Tablespoons water (cold) Items Needed
- Mixing Bowls
- Cookie Sheet
- Star-Shaped Cookie Cutter
- Pastry Blender
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the berries, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl mix together flour and salt
- Slice the sticks of butter into cubes and use the Pastry Blender to cut it into the flour mixture until it is a small crumble
- Add water a tsp at a time while stirring the flour mixture until a dough forms. The less amount of water used the more flaky the pie crust will be after baked.
- Cut the dough into two equal balls and roll them out on a flour surface until they are 1/4 inch thick. If using store bought pie crusts, simply roll them out on a flour surface.
- Using the Star cookie cutter cut 6 stars from each round, flat dough disk
- Lay 6-star shapes on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Using a spoon, scoop a small amount of berry mixture onto the center of the stars.
- Place adjoining star shapes on top of the berries and seal the edges by crimping the dough with a fork. Cut small slits in the top of each pie to allow the steam to vent.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is browned.
- Let the pies cool completely on the cookie sheet, remove carefully with a spatula, and serve or store covered in the refrigerator.