It’s that time of year again. The day where all of us pranksters come out and really make a day worth remembering! After all, April First is the day of pranks and laughs. I know in my house we have to watch for plastic wrap over the toilet seat, crazy sounds, and random doors exploding as they open. Be on guard if you ever visit my house on April Fools Day.
This year I am going food crazy with snacks and treats that look delicious but are disgusting or look disgusting but taste delicious. For example, I am making a Kitty Litter Cake, which will be displayed on the table for an April Fools family and friends celebration. It looks real and disgusting, but the cake is moist and yummy. I wonder who will be the first to have a piece of cake. It is harder than it sounds when the cake is served from a pooper scooper. Even I have struggled with it in the past. However, once you get past the initial disgust the cake is a delicious treat.
The Kitty Litter Cake is fairly easy to make. Simply make two cakes and some pudding, crumble and mix together, sprinkle cookie crumbs, shape tootsie rolls and you are done. I have included the recipe below so that you can make it for your family this year. See who will be the bravest to take a bite.
Kitty Litter Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 5-6 Tootsie rolls
- Make cakes according to package directions
- Make pudding according to package directions and chill.
- Crumble sandwich cookies in a food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but 1/4 cup.
- To the 1/4 cup add a few drops of green food coloring and mix.
- When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Add 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs, and the chilled pudding. Mix together. Use only enough pudding to make the cake moist not soggy.
- Sanitize and line a new kitty litter box with food safe plastic liner and put the cake mixture into box.
- Sprinkle the other half of the cookie crumbs over the cake
- Put the unwrapped tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until soft. Shape the tootsie rolls too look like cat poop.
- Randomly half bury 3 Tootsie poops in the cake and sprinkle 3/4 of the green cookie mixture over the top of the cake.
- Place 2 tootsie poops on top of the cake and sprinkle lightly with some of the green cookie crumbs. Hang one tootsie over the side of the litter box.
- Serve with the pooper scooper.