I mentioned on my facebook page that I was working on something down right awesome, and if it all worked out I would share it this weekend. Well I am pleased to inform my readers that after a little math and a ton of determination, I got the new cubeecraft feature to work. 😀
What is the new feature?
I call it the “Cubee Follow Me Eyes.” With certain cubeecrafts, an extra piece can be inserted into the head. This piece will give the illusion of moving eyes. No matter where the viewer moves, the eyes will follow.
I first saw this illusion when I went through The Haunted Mansion in Disneyland. The eyes in the paintings followed me as I walked down the hall. I found it fascinating and I wanted to learn how the illusion worked. It actually didn’t take much time to learn. The web is filled with “how tos” on illusions and magic tricks. This one simply required that the eyes sit behind the painting so that they appeared to move as the viewer walked by. Creepy and effective.
It wasn’t until recently, however, that I thought of adding this feature to my cubeecrafts. I was watching Jeff Dunham and Achmed the dead Terrorist on TV. I realized that the eyes of Achmed moved quite often and I thought, “How cool would it be if I could get the cubeecrafts eyes to move as well.” Needless to say, after the show was done, I set out to make moving eyes. My past research on the Haunted Mansion Paintings became a big help as I created an insert for the cubeecraft head.
I am issuing a small warning: These are not simple to create. The eyes of the cubeecraft must be carefully cut out and the insert must be placed in at the right angle for this to work. Follow the instructions and please be very patient when creating the Cubee Follow Me Eyes. When all is done correctly the cubeecraft receives that extra creepy vibe (see image below).
Achmed the Dead Terrorist is the first cubeecraft to receive the Cubee Follow Me Eyes feature. He is available by clicking the image below. The instructions posted here will help in the creation of the Cubee Follow Me Eyes.
1. Cut out each item along the outer black lines.
2. Cut along the white on each tab using the x-acto knife
3. Cut along the two white lines on either side of the face, This is where the tabs for the hat will go through.
4. Cut along each red line using the x-acto knife
5. Cut out each eye hole where indicated.
6. Fold along each inner solid white line and slide each tab into the slots created with an x-acto knife to form a cube of the body, arms, and feet
7. Slide the arms through the red slots on either side of the body.
8. Slide the feet through the red slots at the base of the body (he should look like he is sitting)
The Head (see image for help)
9. Put together the head but leave the top up like a lid.
10. Fold the insert along the black line with the eyes facing out.
11. Place the insert in the head. The bottom of the insert should be up against the corner of the cubeecraft. The tab on the end of the insert needs to slide through the back tab of the head so that the insert stays in place.
12. Close the head.
13. Slide the now completed body through the red lots of the head.
He is now complete
Click the following image to download this cubeecraft. Or right click and select “save target as”