SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE, swings onto 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, and DVD on March 19 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Sony Pictures Animation. I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the DVD to do a review and I can’t believe what I just watched.
We all know the story: Boy gets bit by radioactive spider and becomes Spider-Man. There isn’t a secret story here. It has been told a lot over the years in different comic books and movies. So when I sat down to review Spider-Man into the Spider-verse, I expected something I had seen before but through the eyes of a new artist. Really, I thought, “Here comes another cliche story-line that writers seem to enjoy scripting where we have a background story leading to a climax. and finishing with a rather conducive end with the possible death of a hero or loved one.”
My thought of this being another cliche story was soon tossed into the wind provided by Spider-Man from 1933. You know, the one that likes to fight Nazis…a lot.
While this story of Spider-Man does feature the, “boy gets bit by a radioactive spider” scenario, Miles’ beginning is a little different. He starts by learning he is not alone in his endeavor to save the world. Heroes are everywhere, in everyone, and even in other dimensions, such as Peni Parker or Peter Porker.
Spider-Man into the Spider-verse is a roller coaster ride of emotions from laughter to tears, to an absolute galactic amount of awesomeness. I know this seems like an over exaggeration, but for a comic book lover like myself, this movie hit all the right notes. It’s as if a Spider-Man comic book came alive on my TV screen! Just look at the awesome art with the dialog in yellow boxes! (The fan-girl inside of me is screaming.)
The refreshing and bold design of Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse revitalizes the fandom with quirky characters, awesome art, and the seamless combination of comic books and movies. It is a must watch for any Spider-Man fan!
And yes, that is a Black and White Spider-Man trying to figure out the rubik’s cube in the image below.
Now if you will excuse me, I am going to go burn a match down to my finger tips and get in touch with my inner Spider-Man Noir.
More about the Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse movie release:
Bonus Materials Include:
- We Are Spider-Man: Exploring and celebrating one of the key themes of the film, We Are Spider-Man takes a deep dive into the diversity of the characters and aspirational core that any person from any gender or cultural background can wear the mask.
- Spider-Verse: A New Dimension: With a stunning visual style and state of the art animation designed to take the viewer into the pages of a comic, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is not only a love letter to comic books but a groundbreaking take on the super hero genre. Hear from the artists and filmmakers who pushed the boundaries of the artform as they discuss their journey.
- The Ultimate Comics Cast: Enjoy this showcase of all of the fan favorite characters featured in the Spider-Verse and the spectacular cast who were chosen to bring them to life.
- A Tribute to Stan Lee & Steve Ditko: Celebrate the amazing legacy and powerful spirit of the creators of Spider-Man.
- The Spider-Verse Super-Fan Easter Egg Challenge: The Spider-Verse is loaded with Easter Eggs, from cameos to comics references. Fans are challenged to find them all!
- Designing Cinematic Comics Characters: A breakdown of all aspects of the character design including costume, movement in animation, and distinct powers for each character.
- Heroes & Hams: Meet the amazing Spider-people of the Spider-Verse.
- Scorpions and Scoundrels: Explore the classic villains whowreak havoc on the Spider-Verse.
- Alternate Universe Mode: In this all-new viewing experience, discover alternate scenes, plotlines, characters, and more with the filmmakers as your guide.
- 2 Lyric Videos
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone and Swae Lee
- “Familia” by Nicki Minaj & Anuel AA (feat. Bantu)
- All-New Original Short “Spider-Ham: Caught In a Ham” It’s another normal day for Peter Porker, a.k.a. the Spectacular Spider-Ham, fighting bad guys and loving hot dogs, until a mysterious portal starts messing with the very fabric of his cartoon reality.
4K Ultra HD Disc Includes:
- Feature film presented with High Dynamic Range and Dolby Atmos sound
- Also includes the film and special features on the included high-def Blu-ray
SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE has a run time of approximately 117 minutes and is rated PG for frenetic sequences of animated action violence, thematic elements, and mild language.