Ka-chow! Have your little ones ever wanted to be the awesome Lightning McQueen Racecar? Or how about the funny and yet adorable Mater? Here is their chance! All it takes are a few crafts supplies, 60 minutes and the following instructions! So Rev your creative engines! Gather your trusty pit crew and make these Cars-inspired box car costumes. McQueen and Mater’s signature detailin will make your kids ready to have some serious fun.
This craft was found on family.disney.com. Be sure to check out the website for even more fun crafts, printables and activities.
Before beginning this craft, make sure you have all the items ready to go. It makes the craft easier and completion a lot smoother (Trust me when I say I know this to be a fact). After everything is collected, begin following the instructions. If the kids are joining in crafting these cute cars, be sure that an adult does all the cutting and gluing (depending on age, you may also have to do the painting).
This will make a great Halloween costume, or the perfect costume to have fun around the house or backyard. Who knows, there may even be epic races around the park.
What You’ll Need:
How To Make It
- Take your box and undo one of the sides so you can lay it flat, with all of the outside surfaces showing.
- Lay down painter’s plastic that will cover the ground under the box with at least a foot of extra plastic on all sides.
- Use the spray paint to cover the box with either bright, glossy red for Lightning McQueen or the matte brown for Mater. Let it dry.
- Use the packaging tape (and some hot glue for extra hold if necessary) to reattach the side of the box you removed to make it three dimensional again.
- Leaving the top flap out to become your car’s windshield, fold all of the flaps down into the box and tape them flat.
- Take your black plate and place a round sticker in the center.
- Use push pins to attach the paper plates to your car. (Add some hot glue to secure the plate to the cardboard if necessary.)
- Take the small screwdriver and make a hole on either side of the windshield and either side of the back.
- Make the straps. Thread ribbon through the hole going from inside the box to outside the box, tying off the end in a knot. Take it across to the other side and adjust the strap length. Then make a cut before tying off that end too.
- Finally, decorate your car! For Lightning McQueen, cut out shapes with the construction paper to finish off the craft: light blue for eyes, white for the windshield, white for teeth, and yellow for lightning bolt racing stripe. Then, use the black marker to draw in the eyes and teeth.
- For Mater, cut out a hook from the cardboard and grab a paper towel tube. Spray paint both with the matte brown spray paint. Use a hot glue gun to attach the painted paper towel tube to the back of the box. Then cut a piece of wire and attach one end to the end of the paper towel tube and the hook onto the other end. Next, cut out construction paper to finish off the craft: light green for eyes, cream for the windshield, and cream for teeth. Then use the black marker to draw in the eyes and teeth.
Buy Cars and/or Cars 2 on DVD or Blu-ray from Amazon.com: