In 1940 Disney released it’s second animated film Pinocchio. This little puppet was brought to life by the Blue Fairy after Geppetto wished on a star. However, before Pinocchio can be changed to a real boy, he must be brave, loyal, and honest. With the help of Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio begins his adventures.
After I received a request to make a Pinocchio Cubeecraft, my adventure began. With such an iconic character, I had to be sure that even at a glance, fans would be able to recognize this character in cubeecraft form. There were two things that needed to be considered.
- Pinocchio has a long nose even before he lies. I had to decide it I wanted the nose to actually protrude from the face or be drawn on the face.
- This character has a weird shaped hat that needed to be attached to Pinocchio’s head.
After making several templates of the face, I chose to draw the nose on the cubeecraft. This decision not only makes it look a little cleaner but also makes the formation of the cubeecraft a little easier.
The hat, however, was slightly more difficult. I wanted the hat to be attached to the cubeecraft and not a separate piece. To do so, I had to recreate the cubeecraft head with a hat template connected. I think that took the longest because I had to pull in my mathematics background to figure out the lengths and widths of the sides of each triangle. Who knew I would actually use Sin, Cos, and Tan while drawing a Disney character? Sometimes I am so glad I took Trigonometry in school. 😀
After both choices were completed, I was able to finish this request and create a quick look.
- Cut out each item along the outer black lines.
- Cut along the white on each tab using the x-acto knife and along the white above his bangs
- Cut along each red line using the x-acto knife
- Fold along each inner solid black line and slide each tab into the slots created with an x-acto knife to form a cube of the head, body, arms, and feet. (the head will have a cone on top for the hat)
- Slide the arms through the red slots on either side of the body.
- Slide the feet through the red slots at the base of the body.
- Slide the now completed body through the red lots of the head.
He is done. To download this cubeecraft click the links below and save them to your computer. Then print and create!