For Earth Day on April 18th 2014, Disney is releasing a new Disneynature film about Bears. I am excited to see this one because They do filming in Alaska, which is my home state. I have seen my fair share of Brown Bears and to see them on the big screen is exciting. This film will follow a family of bears as they learn about nature and what they need to do to survive.
“In an epic story of breathtaking scale, Disneynature’s new True Life Adventure “Bears” showcases a year in the life of a bear family as two impressionable young cubs are taught life’s most important lessons. Set against a majestic Alaskan backdrop teeming with life, their journey begins as winter comes to an end and the bears emerge from hibernation to face the bitter cold. The world outside is exciting—but risky—as the cubs’ playful descent down the mountain carries with it a looming threat of avalanches. As the season changes from spring to summer, the brown bears must work hard to find food—ultimately feasting at a plentiful salmon run—while staying safe from rival male bears and predators, including an ever-present wolf pack. “Bears” captures the fast-moving action and suspense of life in one of the planet’s last great wildernesses—Alaska! Directed by Alastair Fothergill (“Earth,” “African Cats” and “Chimpanzee”) and Keith Scholey (“African Cats”), “Bears” arrives in theaters April 18, 2014, to celebrate Earth Day.” (Disneynature Bears)
Below are a few Printables that Disney has provided to the excited viewers, teachers and students. The bears educator material has over 90 pages with several lessons to help kids learn all about brown bears and their environment. I also found a few coloring pages with bears.
|1. Standards and Alignment Charts
2. Welcome to the World of Bears
3. Teacher’s Background Information
4. Lesson 1: Where do brown bears live?
5. Lesson 2: How much space do brown bears need to survive?
6. Lesson 3: Who are a brown bear’s neighbors?
7. Lesson 4: How do I compare to a bear?
8. Lesson 5: What do Alaskan animals eat?
9. Lesson 6: How does energy flow through an Alaskan animal food web?
10. Lesson 7: How do brown bear cubs learn and grow?
11. Lesson 8: How do scientists use footprints to study bears?
12. Lesson 9: What methods do scientists use to study brown bear populations worldwide?
13. Lesson 10: How can I safely visit bear country?
14. Lesson 11: How can people live safely with bears?
15. Power Point Bear Adaptations
Enjoy these printables and learning all about the brown bears. If and when Disney posts more printables I will add them here.